Choosing between color prints or black & white prints can be a difficult decision. Price, deadlines, and target market are a few of the primary concerns in the decision process. Printing with black ink is usually cheaper than printing with color ink. Printing in color also tends to take longer due to the extra data involved. Most well-presented data and text can clearly convey a concept to the readers regardless of what color of ink is used. So you might be asking, “Why would I print in color if black ink is cheaper, faster, and effective?” Printing in color can be far more effective at attracting attention and making the data exciting and memorable. There are many ways color can add that “wow factor” to your project:
- Color helps to separate sections of a page into their own uniquely appealing zones.
- Color leads the reader’s eyes across the page; creating an interesting visual journey.
- Color offers a larger amount of opportunities to create striking contrast due to the huge selection of hues, tints, and shades that are available outside of black ink.
- Color allows for creative highlighting without having to rely solely on the use of bold text or larger fonts.
- Color can show relationships between various sets of data.
- Color prints give a professional look to a project; similar to using high quality paper stock.
- A study conducted by the American Psychological Association Inc. in 1993 offered evidence that color improves object recognition on a sensory level (meaning that we instinctively use colors to remember and recognize important information).
The examples below the article show how much difference color can make in design. Black and white images can possess a certain charm but color printing has the potential to be much more effective in many situations (if used correctly). Consider the price you’ll pay in relation to the impact your prints will have. The color prints may cost more but they may also resonate more with your audience which will accomplish the goal of this article: to boost your return-on-investment by providing the most effective means of advertising.