When choosing how to deliver your information to the world, focus on the most effective way to reach your audience. Here are 10 reasons why printed marketing collateral isn’t going away anytime soon:
1. It’s physical. The tangible sense of touch and 3-dimensional experience make your printed product more memorable than a digital online image.
2. Magazine stands and bookstores still exist for a reason. Many people still enjoy the experience of holding their reading materials in their hands and turning the pages, enjoying the glossy color printed page.
3. There’s no junk mail filter for the mailbox in front of your house. This ensures your printed direct mail spends at least a few moments in your customers’ hands, a luxury that online ads cannot always provide.
4. People have become numb to online advertising. Flashing banners and pop-up ads can come across as overly aggressive and invasive. Bill Thompson of BBC News said, “When I am online, looking for information, reading the news or simply surfing around aimlessly, the ads are in the way and I block them out.”
5. Printed brochures, catalogs, and flyers have a singular focus – your company’s products and services. Your customers see exactly what you want them to see. Online advertising is often buried amongst a wide variety of distractions that make it difficult to focus on your message. It’s rare that you’ll get an entire web page to yourself so keep in mind the amount of other ads consumers will have to sift through just to see your information.
6. Short run printing has become an affordable option for individuals and small businesses. In today’s economic climate, every dollar counts. Print companies understand this and have found ways to make it affordable to print the exact quantity of items you need.
7. Printing is shifting to more digital press output, delivering specialized variable data print products. Now your direct mail postcards can be custom-tailored to each individual customer showing that physical prints can be just as flexible as any online ad.
8. Your printed advertising can even pay for itself. Consider placing ads for local businesses in your company newsletter, brochure, or magazine. You can reduce or eliminate printing costs and create valuable business relationships in the process.
9. Having printed material gives the impression that your company is solid, tangible and has staying-power. Online ads can often have a cheap, fly-by-night quality due to how often that advertising arena has been abused.
10. Lastly, print and digital media can co-exist! Printed media is one of the strongest ways to drive customers to your website. Keep in mind that not every waking moment of a person’s life is spent staring into a computer screen, so a well-placed postcard or flyer could be the missing link in your marketing system.